Raider Generation

The Student News Site of Stevens High School

Raider Generation

Raider Generation

Mr. Dragoo

Band+Director+George+Dragoo+talked+with+the+audience+at+a+concert+last+year.+
Alina Levine
Band Director George Dragoo talked with the audience at a concert last year.

For almost two decades George Dragoo has directed the band at Stevens High School and he has no plan on slowing down. He loves teaching the students, saying that they each “have their own gifts.” Every student getstime to shine and coached based on their specific skill set.

One of the skill sets it has afforded to Dragoo, is the ability to learn to play all the instruments in his years with the band. By having first-hand experience with all of the insturments he is able to demonstrate for the students and help the students with their troubles, “I love what music has given me and want to give that to others.”

Dragoo believes that the Stevens Band is worth his time and commitment and devotes countless hours to it. Often people just see the band at football games marching at half-time, but band offers so much more for kids. He, and Jordan Seidel, help many students feel included, heard, and to find their place within the school whether they are in concert band, cadet band, marching band, jazz band or drumline.

Thanks to that feeling of belonging and the relationships created, this year Stevens sent 200+ students to perform individually and in groups alongside students from the entire region at the SDHSAA Region VIII Solo & Ensemble Contest.

It is all in a days work for Dragoo, finding the beat that the students mvoe to.