Rising Stars Vie for Scholarship

Seven students from Stevens threw their hats in the ring to become a Rising Star in the community. KEVN Black Hills FOX TV and Monument Health give local high school students the chance to become the next “Rising Star of the West” and earn a share of $7,500 in scholarships.

Stevens High School junior Serenity Johnson was the week three winner and the third finalist. Johnson will compete against three other area high schoolers including Stevens High School senior Sydney Meissner.

Meissner competed the week of February 13th. Her commentary on the importance of foreign language education was rated the best of the week. Johnson and Meissner will head back to KEVN to record additional commentaries for further judging.

To participate students submit a 30-60 second video discussing a topic of interest. The submission is reviewed by the Station staff who then select the semi-finalists. Students then record an additional commentary at KEVN-TV’s studio in Rapid City, SD.  which is aired each weekday for four weeks for voting.

1st prize–$4,000 scholarship

2nd prize–$2,000 scholarship

3rd prize–$1,000 scholarship

4th prize–$500 scholarship

Per Black Hills Fox rules, “Scholarship awards will go towards postsecondary education only and will be paid directly to the college of the winner’s choice as a credit toward the winner’s tuition.”

Stevens junior Serenity Johnson wins week 3 of the Rising Star of the West.
Stevens senior Sydney Meissner wins week 3 of the Rising Star of the West.