Raider Generation

The Student News Site of Stevens High School

Raider Generation

Raider Generation

Basketball Season from the Sidelines

A captain’s journey to the sidelines
Nicolette Dame
Hayden Gabhart watched as Ethan Pisle shot from the free throw line in 2022.

Captain of the Raider Basketball team, two-year letter winner and sharpshooter, EthanPisle has made his way around the basketball court. Ethan is a senior at Stevens High School whoplays basketball, however his senior season got cut short due to a knee injury.

Pisle was going up for a layup in practice and when he came back down, he landed wrong on his ACL. It didn’t hurt at first it, but he could tell something was wrong, so Ethan went to the trainer and after he took two weeks off of practice, in the meantime he sought other opinions.

Pisle took the initiative to go and get a professional opinion. He went to three different doctors in Rapid City, all of which told him his ACL was not torn, rather it was just bruised, and he would be back on the court in a few weeks. When Pisle thought his knee was healed a week later, he tried one practice on it, and at the end of that practice it gave out which let him know that there was something seriously wrong with it. Within the next few days, he got an MRI on his knee which revealed that his ACL was indeed torn, ending his season and basketball career at Stevens High School.

From playing all the time to sitting on the bench, Pisle has had to find a new way to support the team. “I miss basketball very much, I miss playing with my boys and all the laughs and good times with my homies/teammates.” So instead, he supported the Raider basketball team in adifferent fashion than he is used to, on the court’s edge cheering, laughing, and coaching.

Pisle has played basketball for as long as he can remember “[a]s a kid I just started playing it and I thought it was really fun, so I just kept doing it.” While he says that recovery has been tough and he still has many months to go, he plans on grinding basketball when he is recovered because he does plan on playing basketball in college, wherever he decides to go.

Although he has a deep bag when it comes to skills in basketball, he has one skill that stands out from the rest. Pisles specialty is one many people dream of, shooting. He plays the shooting guard position which the main goal at that position is to shoot the ball and dribble.

It has helped his recovery to have his buddies around hangingn out an playing fortnight. The best medicine throughout this process has been his moms special spaghetti.