Stevens Takes Team Performance at Math Competition

70th Annual West River Math Contest commences

Stevens+students+gather+around+their+trophy+at+the+west+River+Math+Contest.+

Ruth Conway

Stevens students gather around their trophy at the west River Math Contest.

Ryan Brickey led the way for the Stevens High School math team to claim the Best Team Performance at the West River Math Contest hosted by the South Dakota School of Mines. Brickey placed fifth in the Algebra category allowing the team enough points to take home the title.

Schools from all over the area come to compete at the School of Mines for their moment to demonstrate their mathematical prowess. There are five areas for students to compete in Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Advanced Math and Master’s.

The contest will consist of a fifty-minute test followed by a twenty-minute test. The latter will be scored only if it is necessary to break ties. The contestant’s score will be the score achieved on the fifty-minute test. Organizers say calculators cell phones are not allowed, but they do provide scratch paper.

Other Stevens results: Tristan Nelson and Madeline Leithoff, Holland Post, Hayden Holec, Erik Nelson, Sam Blickensderfer, Paige McNabb, Chet Renner, Olivia Roberts also competed in the Algebra competition.

Elaine Chang, Kaiva Coleman, Roman Slack, Rylie Sleep, Henile Fleming, Euana Matute, Jagur Parks, Victoria Carlin, Katherine Dorch, and Nathan Plotkin battled in the Geometry category.

Arabella Blom, Marieda Kalahar and Quinn Hasse were the only Raiders competing in the Advanced Mathematics competition.