Culinary Arts Brings Healthy Eating to Stevens

Serenity+Fields+enjoys+experimenting+with+different+foods+in+class.+

Serenity Fields enjoys experimenting with different foods in class.

The culinary arts class is a class to help students understand themselves, and the process of pregnancy, childbirth and how young children learn and develop. During the students’ class period they have computerized babies that they hold and care for while they read. Journaling is an important part of this class in order to learn about yourself  to help you make the big decisions ahead. 

The teacher of this class is new this year, and she expresses how much she enjoyed all her students, and she really enjoyed teaching the class and learning along with the students. She says that the class is going well, and most of the students are enjoying it as well. They have made playdough, and some classes will get to visit the Montessori school. It is successful so far this year, and Mrs. Malicks most difficult part of the class for her is learning how to operate and monitor the computerized babies. 

They have recently done a unit on healthy foods to eat during pregnancy. This unit was about how to plan healthy and balanced foods during pregnancy or even just in general. This lesson showed the students how healthy eating is important throughout your entire life-time, and how it can help or affect you during pregnancy. Some of the different food groups that they learned about during this unit were, grains, fruits and vegetables, protein, and dairy. 

In conclusion, the class is going well for Mrs. Malick and the students both. They are learning about healthy eating, and they are journaling to learn about themselves, and they’re lifestyle. They also get experience with dealing with babies and healthy dieting habits. 

https://www.myplate.gov is a helpful website for everyone.”